Monday, November 24, 2008

Queen Marie sails for home

Embed from Getty Images 

 November 24, 1926

 Queen Marie of Roumania departed today on the Berengaria bound for Bucharest by way of Paris. The Queen and two of her children, Nicholas, and Ileana, spent five weeks in the United States. The departure from New York City was without fanfare, no bands, no flags, and no cheering crowds. Marie was "royally pleased" to have her last "contest" with the "pressmen."

 She had boarded the Berengaria at midnight, after dining at the home of Vincent Astor. Princess Ileana arrived on the ship at 1:00 a.m., and Nicholas did not come on board until about "nearly 4." The prince and princess had dined at the Park Avenue home of Ira Nelson Morris and accompanied Morris and Walter D. Odgen to see George White's Scandals. However, Ileana's lady-in-waiting decided that White's production was "perhaps a little too sophisticated" for the 17-year-old princess, so she was taken to see "Castles in the Air." 

 Prince Nicholas remained to see the entire Scandals show. Later in the evening, the prince and princess joined their mother at the Astors but were allowed to go to a private dance at the home of Schuyler Parsons with Mr. Ogden. Ileana stayed until about 1, but Nicholas, who was having a wonderful time, stayed for several hours longer. His mother "gently reproved him at breakfast. 

Thirty minutes before sailing, Queen Marie met with the press for the final time. "All I can say is that I have been very, very happy in your country, and was very much distressed to leave before I wanted to....America has been a real friend to me, and I hope the American people will remember me in the same gracious way they have received me everywhere." The Queen was asked what impressed her most in the United States. "Oh, the immensity of everything, the way the country is progressing. It's enormous possibilities, the big things and, to use your own language, your efficiency in everything." 

She also added that she wanted to thank the police in America, "especially the police in New York, for their good-natured protection. I never was so well protected in my life." She repeated her sentiments about the United States and the American people. 

"We have in Roumania a feeling of trust and love for America, just as I believe America has for Roumania, and I feel this is not my last visit. America and Americans are loved by us all." It was apparent that Princess Ileana was not looking forward to going home, having truly enjoyed her time in the United States.

 She told a reporter that "I truly love America and feel very sorry to go away. I have been fully a half less homesick in America than in any other foreign country I have ever been in. Really, I never felt that I was a foreigner in America. That is true, and I am coming back as soon as I can." 

 Cunard officials stated that the Queen is staying in the regal suite, although she paid the minimum first-class fare of $250 for herself and $175 each for her servants. When she came to the USA from Cherbourg on the Levithan, Queen Marie traveled for free.

1 comment:

Reeves said...

What a glowing tribute to U.S.A. She sounds so sincere.